Adobe launches Lightroom (Aperture-like app)

mdnky

[Bobs/Prog/Design:~] mod%
Staff member
Mod
Interesting app that Adobe is currently providing for free in beta form to Mac users, called Adobe Lightroom. It says they'll be eventually launching a Mac and Windows version in the future (summer 06 maybe).

Demo Video (shot on "a common Mac laptop configuration")

From what I've seen so far, not quite as elegant of a solution as Aperture is but not too bad either. I'm downloading it right now, so I'll post back after playing with it for a while.

It's not that bad of an app. It will run on anything that Apeture won't (12" Powerbooks, iBooks, Mac Minis).

The last PhotoshopTV did a review of it with a full on demo. I just wish i had a Pro SLR camera that could shoot camera RAW now...hopefully i will get enough back on my Tax Returns to get the D50

On my PowerBook, Aperture's interface is just too darn slow. Lightroom is good. Go figure... I certainly hope Apple updates Aperture soon again with a much better interface speed.

amazing how adobe introduces lightroom on the mac first, well at least the beta, feels like the 1980's again ;)

RGrphc2 said:
I just wish i had a Pro SLR camera that could shoot camera RAW now...hopefully i will get enough back on my Tax Returns to get the D50

They have a version that includes some sample content to play with (111MB download) as well as the program only (8mb). The sample content is from a Nikon D100 dSLR in RAW/NEF format (9 to 10mb each, 13 photos).

I have a folder full of NEFs I took with my D50 at a family x-mass party, around 500 total, which I'm going import and play around with later on today.

So far I like it, but I like Aperture more (it's interface is easier to use and better planned IMO). With just those 13 photos in it, it's already a bit sluggish for me. The weird thing is it doesn't feel near as fast as Aperture was on a 17" PowerBook (same specs as my 15") at the Apple Store with more & larger RAW files. My system has been doing a large amount of pageouts since I started Lightroom, so their 512MB min requirement probably is a bit light.

whitesaint said:
amazing how adobe introduces lightroom on the mac first, well at least the beta, feels like the 1980's again ;)

I had to read this three times before I realized you were talking about the fact that Lightroom is released on Mac OS X before Windows - not that it was released before the competitors (since Aperture's been out for a while =)

Back