Adobe Photoshop G5 upgrade?

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
I saw this the other day and, for some odd reason, found it rather funny. But otherwise, this is a cool update. Glad to see Adobe still cares (they must anyway, they put out an update for a computer almost no one seems to have yet:p:D).

Not really, as it doesn't add any additional features, nor does it fix any bugs. It's just the addition of optimised codes for one kind of machine. You'll see a 7.0.2 update when there are bugs fixed (Windows as well as Mac OS version). But seeing that Adobe is on track with the betas of version 8, I guess we won't see another 7.x update.

Ditto.

I can't think of anything wrong with 7, though I probably could after using it for a session; does anyone have suggestions for fixes for APS 8?

All I've heard about is non-square pixels and filter layers, whatever that means. :rolleyes: Someone explain those to me, please :D

Non-square pixels?????

I'd LOVE to see how they're going to pull that off, and how they'll get around displays having only square pixels.

You can already apply filters in "pseudolayers," You can selectively show/hide their effects as well as select a mask to which to apply them... so I'm not sure what is going to be so different about that.

As in filter adjustment layers. Currently, you can create layers like you said that apply an image adjustment to everything beneath it, but this will apply to filters too, so you can make a gaussian blur adjustment layer, and apply a filter to it or make it semitransparent. An excellent addition. I heard something about this before, but I have no idea where.

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
Non-square pixels?????

I'd LOVE to see how they're going to pull that off, and how they'll get around displays having only square pixels.

Guessing about this - but a pixel as recorded in a document is not always shown as a pixel on the screen - when you zoom for example. Might non-square pixels be recorded differently so that when you scale a document, you don't get the dreaded jaggies?

Just a guess - seems like it's a nice compromise between bitmaps and vector stuff. I use corel draw a lot because for scaleable stuff it means that I can work with small documents but make them bigger later - logos first, t-shirts and posters later...

I was thinking the same thing. Raster/vector hybrid maybe. It looks for continuity in hue, saturation, brightness between one pixel and another, and smooths the difference between them, making it look closer to a black line, for example, than adjacent diagonal pixels.

It'll be very interesting to see.

I think Adobe should, now that TIFFany3 is gone, add the main pro-features of TIFFany3 to Photoshop. The best thing about that Photoshop competitor was that you could have layers using different resolutions and colour settings, i.e. Layer 1 could be a 150 dpi CMYK background, Layer 2 a 1200 dpi, black&white type layer, Layer 3 a 600 dpi CMYK graphic. This gives more speed to the application, as not everything has to be 1200 dpi (but you still want that res for the type!).

Adobe has been working on that for years. They started with that SVG some years ago, so if they advanced that, we can see the end of image quality lose or a much better data management, although i would assume the image will need to be captured in this format for it to work from input, to PS then a final output at optimal quality.

What was that one program that had a lot of image manipulation tools that Photoshop could not compete with? You could recolor a portion of an image much more easily than in Photoshop, and stuff like that. It's not a Photoshop replacement, but more of an addition for color and image manipulation and the like.

umm, that i don't know. Couldn't have been one of the Corel paint apps, and painter was in a category of its own.

Check out this page for an explanation of non-square pixels... it simply has to do with the ratio of the width of a pixel to its height. Square pixels have a width:height ratio of 1:1, nonsquare pixels have something else. This pops up when dealing with video editing, so non-square pixels in Photoshop may have more to do with integration into video or other non-computing media output where square pixels become distorted.

Back