Adobe wide-open prefers Wintels!!!

i blue screen everyday with my xp machine at work. on my win2k machine at home, which i only use abut once a week now, blue screens everytime i use it. when i am watching video, and move a window, it crashes. when i am listening to music, and move a dialog box in Viz or autocad, the music stops playing. so even if the pc is faster, i can get more work done on my mac because i am not trying to make it work, and i dont have to restart 2-3 times a day. it just works. some people get lucky with their wintel machines, and they run like a dream. but most do not, like me and most of the people i know. windows crashes a lot. how have you used win2k for 8 years?? anyways. my mac never gives me problems. it does what i want and doesnt get in my way.

Originally posted by xyle_one
i blue screen everyday with my xp machine at work. on my win2k machine at home, which i only use abut once a week now, blue screens everytime i use it. when i am watching video, and move a window, it crashes. when i am listening to music, and move a dialog box in Viz or autocad, the music stops playing. so even if the pc is faster, i can get more work done on my mac because i am not trying to make it work, and i dont have to restart 2-3 times a day. it just works. some people get lucky with their wintel machines, and they run like a dream. but most do not, like me and most of the people i know. windows crashes a lot. how have you used win2k for 8 years?? anyways. my mac never gives me problems. it does what i want and doesnt get in my way.

Have you checked your video drivers? In all my years of Wintel ownership, video drivers and cards have caused me the most grief bar none. I haven't used Win2k for 8 years, I've used either NT4 or Win2K for 8 years. I've "only" been using Win2K for about 3, and I had to be drug kicking and screaming off of NT4 because it WAS so reliable. It wasn't until Win2k proved itself (and I needed the USB support) that I made the switch (I was the last on in our company to do so, much to the relief of our IT staff). Having worked in NT/Win2K shops for 8 years now (software development), I just don't get why people seem to have problems. This has just NOT been my experience, even with those I have direct contact with in other companies. I always assumed that most BSOD's were related to 16bit (95/98/ME/...) fork. Is this simply users giving up and not actually trying to track down the source of their issues?

My box at home is pieced together by me and has evolved over the years (I don't think that I have a piece from the original I built 8 years ago) and I do tend to use "proven" hardware (I've long since given up on the bleeding edge thing, I only upgraded off of my 233mhz AMD K6-2 two years ago!) so this might help my cause. But then again most of my friends have Dells (and a few Gateways, heaven help them) and pretty much every place I've worked in that time frame uses Dell's and we haven't had those types of problems (even though I consider Dell's POS). This just shows the downside to having SOOOO many hardware/driver choices. I hate M$ just a much (if not more for some fairly esoteric reasons) as anyone else, but in many ways they get a bad rap because of the crappy drivers that many manuf. put out for their stuff (again back to the video card example, on the Matrox the actual drivers from Matrox would BSOD me regularly, several times a day. However the M$ Win2k default driver would run without a hitch, albiet with a slight performance penalty).

Anyway, give 90% of the computing population Macs and you'd get a huge number of people whining about spinning beach balls and sad macs and extension collisions (ALL of which I've dealt/deal with on my Macs). Security holes, virus's, etc, etc.

Speed, speed blablabla

You probably run faster in a pair of noname sneakers but a pair of gucci's makes you look good while doing it.

Originally posted by jens@dna
Speed, speed blablabla

You probably run faster in a pair of noname sneakers but a pair of gucci's makes you look good while doing it.

that makes me think of the wrong tool for the job and according to Adobe, Macs are the wrong tool for DV editing. :D

Originally posted by kendall
that makes me think of the wrong tool for the job and according to Adobe, Macs are the wrong tool for DV editing. :D

...wrong apps ;) Now, if only Adobe compared Final Cut VS Premiere running on a Mac and/or a Wintel :rolleyes:

So, you see the wrong tools for DV editing on a computer are actually the Adobe ones ;)

As for Wintel based DV, if one is actually smart he/she would go for an Athlon XP based solution or even an Athlon MP solution and not that poor fella P4/3GHz :D

And to return at your quote... According to Adobe of course Macs are wrong tools for DV but not because they lack the power... Oh no! But because they have a much better power that one cannot find at the Dark Side!

Hint-Hint!
-------------
FCP (or if you prefer FCE :D )

This spat between Adobe and Apple is only going to get bigger.

First of all, in retaliation for FCP and FCE, Adobe is going to kill the Mac version of Premiere. The next major release will be PC only.

Second, Apple could and should really clean up here by creating FCP and FCE bundles. For example: But a new Power Mac, and get FCP for $499, or FCE for $149. It will not only spur software sales, but also pro hardware sales, an area where Apple could stand to move additional units.

It is clear that due to FCP, FCE and iPhoto, Adobe views Apple as a partner and a competitor, and Adobe has decided that it would rather pull its competing products (Premiere, Photoshop Album) from the Mac platform than compete head to head with Apple...

I'm sure Apple's none too pleased that Adobe is partnering with and selling Dells on their website either...

Originally posted by hulkaros
Browse here:
http://www.adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html

WTF? :confused:

Hello... Is anyone at Adobe Mac-head? Adobe? Where are you Adobe Mac people? :mad:

Conspiracy theory:
Adobe with the help of Dell, M$ and Intel, try to pick on Apple in order to convince them to buy those P4/Itanium2 CPUs instead of those poor(!?) G4s...

:mad:
This is exactly what worries me about Apple. The G4 line is incredibly with OSX but, the price is on the very high side in compare to what the consumer is getting. The software developers know this and are reacting. Microsoft, Intel, are I’m sure are making this easier for the software developers. Apple developers must keep the software developers and consumers on board by pushing technology or they will lose them again.

I hope Apple skips the next .XX CPU releases and brings some big guns to the table like G5. Software developers, as well as consumers always goes the way of the fastest and most cost affected way to get what they need.

Originally posted by hulkaros
...PC PREFERRED...

Browse here:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/03/25/appleresponds/

And I was starting to think that Apple isn't reading us :rolleyes:

;) :D

Apple's reply,

"We at Apple swear our computers are as fast or faster than PCs. Really, we do! Cross our hearts, hope to die. You believe us right? Right? Please believe us!"

The Apple rep. then proceeded to break down and cry.

"For the love of Christ, somebody help us! There is no G5! All we have for the next seven years is the G4 and bluetooth. We are so f*cked! Please don't leave us Adobe! Adobe? Adobe? Adobe? We're scared Adobe. Adobe?"

bwahahahaha!

Originally posted by kendall
Apple's reply,

"We at Apple swear our computers are as fast or faster than PCs. Really, we do! Cross our hearts, hope to die. You believe us right? Right? Please believe us!"

The Apple rep. then proceeded to break down and cry.

"For the love of Christ, somebody help us! There is no G5! All we have for the next seven years is the G4 and bluetooth. We are so f*cked! Please don't leave us Adobe! Adobe? Adobe? Adobe? We're scared Adobe. Adobe?"

bwahahahaha!

Obviously this comes from someone who haven't even see let alone use Premiere/Effects VS FCP (about Express I dunno) now, isn't it? I thought so... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
XP Professional?

Can you say "oxymoron"?

:)

Let me explain:
-XtraPain Home
-XtraPain Professional

So, there ;)

That's why M$ didn't name after XP their new version of Windows: Windows 2003 Server! Now, that's an oxymoron! Windows and serving ;)

:D

Regardless of which is faster than what in which test or whatever, the bottom line is that Adobe should do everything it can to make its software run the best on any platform, and let its users choose the platform they feel best suits their purposes.

Back