Adressbook doesn't work anymore

luciddream

Registered
Hi there,

After a standard systeminstall on my G5 I installed Adobe Creative Suite Premium. I fiddled a bit around making a network connection to my collegues G5.
At the next startup Adressbook, iPhoto, Safari and Mail didn't work anymore. After a lot of searching, a hard night and some reboots all apps but Adressbook worked again.
I don't understand what could be wrong with Adressbook, it just won't start. When I click the icon my G5 starts to blow like a plane at liftoff. I have to then very quickly force quit Adressbook, otherwise I think it'll blow up.

Beeing a relative newbee in OSX I don't know what I could do to fix the problem. Is there anyone that has a <<safe>> clue. I'm working on this machine so if something happens to it, I'm dead.

Thanks,
René

Hi René,

Go to the Applications folder (user / Applications) and in there to Utilities folder. Open "Disk Utility". In Disk Utility, choose your hard drive, and hit on "Repair Disk Permissions". If it will find a lot to repair (it will be telling you what it does), maybe try to run it twice.
That could fix it - often with OS X a reason for some apllication misbehaving is corrupted permissions.
And if it does not fix it, tell that and we will find more things that could fix it. :)

Hi,
I'm having the same problem as Luciddream but with the applications Safari and Mail.
I'm trying to do as you suggested Giaguara but when I open "Disk Utility" and select my hard drive I get the spinning beach ball. I tried doing this this morning but after waiting 20 minutes I had to leave for work. Hopefully when I get home it will have finished and I will have the chance to click on "Repair Disk Permissions". Should it take more than 20 minutes to select my drive in "Disk Utility". Has anyone else got anymore tips for me to get my Mail and Safari working in Mac OS 10.3.3?
Thanks in advance.
Kirby

macmasta said:
boot from the os x install cd/dvd and go to disk utility. then repair the permissions this way.

Cheers Macmasta I'll give that a try tonight.
Kirby

Hi guys,

I'm back from a short holiday. Read the thread and will try it later on tonight. I tried repairing it over disk utilities before but had also a problem with the permissions. I'm curious what happens tonight.

Thanx,
®ené

Back