ADSL Modems ... 'n' OS X

Well... i'mm getting a Mac in the Summer... But Getting ADSL Nxt Week .... so i need a Modem which Will Work on Both Platforms! .. any one have any opinions? ... For the Moment, i have a PCI Modem ... Which is Obvs no Good For an iMac! :(

?

NeYo

Edit: ... i know i could Prolly Network it, but i think i'd prefer an external Modem attached 2 the Mac! ;)

I'm not sure this will help, or that I'm even answering your question, but I'll try. :)

The ADSL modems from Alcatel are OS independent, and will work on any system. The modems from Alcatel can be found here. - I'm not sure about the price though.

...but doesn't your ADSL provider lend you a modem?

Kris

I have a Alcatel Speed Touch Home, and it works perfectly with both Mac OS X/9.x and Windows XP.

Are all modems compatible with all ISP's?

Edit: Typo.

Thanks For the info Guys! ... My Mate (who use's XP Only use's an Alcatel Modem too!) ...<< Why did i start typing that? LOL! ... >>

Originally posted by Kris
I'm not sure this will help, or that I'm even answering your question, but I'll try. :)

The ADSL modems from Alcatel are OS independent, and will work on any system. The modems from Alcatel can be found here. - I'm not sure about the price though.

...but doesn't your ADSL provider lend you a modem?

Kris

They Don't loan them, they Simply Sell them to you, shame they didn't loan u one, like BT Do with Your Fone Line! The Alcatel Modem (From the ISP) was £108 i think, which is pretty Steep, considering i have a Internal (PCI) Modem on my Shelf! ...Ah Well, i'll use this, and i guess, look out for an external modem Somewhere! thanks!

NeYp

I also have an Alcatel Speed Thouch Home modem that I got delvivered with my ADSL subscription. It works great with OS X and also works with PC (my friend has the same);)

aren't ADSL modem related to the hardware your provider has installed ?
In France, the choice for adsl modem is constrained by this.
For example, my adsl connection is provided by an ECI "plaque". I could have a Alcatel modem if I would, but compatibility, speed and support will not be max.
Is it different elsewhere ?

So the only choices I had were to buy our to rent, and to buy an USB or a Ethernet modem.

Hi,

Any ADSL that is driver independant is probably going to be better. The Alcatel depends on OS X drivers. I recently bought the Ericsson HM220d, which has both USB and ethernet port and connecting through the ethernet is very simple in Mac OS X. I linked up using the ethernet cable to my Mac (still beige G3) and then used Internet Explorer to log into the modem (fixed address) and configure it for the service provider here in Iceland, according to the parameters they gave me). the modem updated the settings and there it was, broadband delight.

I now have added an ethernet switching hub, and can plug in multiple computers (PC and Mac) by just connecting up the ethernet cables. This was really easy for me to set up, and since the modem has a built in router as well, IP numbers are automatically assigned to the different computers in the network, and I can connect between the macs on the network with no problems for file sharing etc.

The Ericsson is a nice modem, and it also comes with a pipe-lock button, so when you are away, the press of a single button locks out any outsiders, if you are worried about that.

Andrew

I think Alcatel Speed Touch Home is "driver independent" aswell, it connects via the Ethernet port.

Back