ADSL Speed reading

sirstaunch

Registered
Question: Would it be that Windogs displays a different reading in connection speed then what the Mac displays?

I'm wondering this because my emac connected through a 256 modem router and my speed is around 25 kb/sec. I do use a phone extension from the socket and how ever I have plugged the modem directly into the socket but get the same speed. I do have a line filter on the phone.

My XP traitor friend is using 256 ADSL as well, but he gets like 240 kb/sec, and i thought mine was fast enough considering, so is it the difference in our readings, or should I be getting around the 256 kb/sec as well?

If this is the case I do realise I should be getting a line next to my computer etc etc

If your modem/ISP advertises "256kbps", that means kiloBITS per second, whereas most software will report download speed in kiloBYTES. 1 byte = 8 bits, which would mean your modems 256kbps speed would give you a maximum of 32K/sec. So 25K/sec real-world download speed wouldn't be very bad.

Most Windows software would probably also report in kilobytes, but I'm sure there's some that reports in bits. What apps are telling him he's getting 240?

Mikuro said:
If your modem/ISP advertises "256kbps", that means kiloBITS per second, whereas most software will report download speed in kiloBYTES. 1 byte = 8 bits, which would mean your modems 256kbps speed would give you a maximum of 32K/sec. So 25K/sec real-world download speed wouldn't be very bad.

Most Windows software would probably also report in kilobytes, but I'm sure there's some that reports in bits. What apps are telling him he's getting 240?

That's sounds good to me, I didn't expect to see cable or T1 miracles. :rolleyes: He's app i seen it in was Bearshare ::evil::

And when you see it, the progress moves in a same way as i see mine, one reason i wondered if readings differ...

Ta

Back