Adventures In Unsupportedness

macguy17

DDR 4 EVR
Well, finally with the newest release of XPostFacto i was able to install Mac OS X on my 8500.

Of course, it went with some problems.
After installation, you get a kernal panic at startup. Hopefully you have a system folder on another partition to boot from.
I did not.

So I had to boot from the OS 9 CD. Uh oh, it's a 9.2 disk. Can;t boot from that.

Luckily my dad had an old 9.0.4 install cd. Booted up from that fine. Go to fix it as per the steps described. No carbon lib to run XPF.

So basically I had to copy my old system folder from 1st partition, rebless it, and hopefully it will work.

(later) It booted up fine. I am now running the XPF steps to setting things right.

(still later) Success! Booted into OS X fine. Took a few minutes to start up, but not too long. Longer to Initialise Network then I'm used to.
Great to be welcomed in so many languages =).

Registered, creater user accounts, finishing up.
Dock set to smallest icon size, magnification max is kind of sluggish. System Prefs takes many bounces to start up, but software update was starting at same time.

Update: woohoo, upgraded to 10.1.5 and Network initializes faster, basically much faster than before. I could actually stand using it =)
Anyway, it took almost 3 hours for everything, but the end result is..
(that includes optimizing OS 10.1.5 (took about 1.5 hours))

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 30
Back