Advice on IDE or compiler

goldenmeg

Registered
I have not programmed on a mac in a couple of years, and have never programmed in OSX. I was using Codewarrior 6.0 in OS 9, so all my code is in that environment. Most of my code is C, some is native C with a Java interface (which is really ugly to compile and I'm not sure I can do it any more)

In the next year, I may need to upgrade and move my code into OSX.

What is the easiest way to do this? For OSX, do you recommend staying with Codewarrior or is there a better (and cheaper) way to program on the Mac?

I'm not a professional programmer, but a researcher.

Thanks in advance
Meg

'What is the easiest way to do this?' - Xcode. It is included among the MacOS X Install (CD) Discs or on the MacOS X Install DVD.

'For OSX, do you recommend staying with Codewarrior...' - no. You will eventually use Xcode, why not start now?

'... or, is there a better (and cheaper) way to program on the Mac?' - Xcode, its free.

'Panther' MacOS X 10.3 is supplied as four (4) discs. The first three (3) discs are for installing 'Panther' itself. The fourth disc is 'Xcode'.

My box only had 2 disks. I'll try and contact Apple about getting the other disks? I don't want to upgrade to Tiger yet unless I absolutely have to. Thanks!

01. If you have only two (2) 'Panther' Install discs - you must have an education version; and I may have mistaken 'Panther' having four (4) discs instead of three (3) discs - the last of which is 'Xcode'. It must be 'Jaguar' which came with four (4) discs. My copies of 'Panther' and 'Jaguar' are not within immediate reach to confirm the number of disc per OS installation.

02. Go to 'Apple Developer', set up a 'free' developers account, and then download Xcode ... for free! 'Xcode' (at 'Developer Tools' - after you have an account, and log'ed into the 'apple developer' web site with your new account) is 823.4 MB in size.

Awh - you are right, I have 3 disks. Our local apple repairman has the 4th. But I'm on my way to the apple developer site to download, etc.

Thanks so much! This is just what I need.

Meg

Back