AFP Client Not Responding

jcameron

Registered
I have two systems at home. My main server is a Dual-G5 named "Caladan". My other system is a Mac Mini named "IX". Both are running OSX Tiger 10.4.6. I screwed things up royally. I use MS Entourage on Caladan for my email. I have MS Office 2004 also installed on the Mac Mini IX. I thought I would be sneaky and clever and make an alias of the Office 2004 Identities folder on Caladan and put it in place of the Office 2004 Identities folder on IX with the intention that I could then access my mail and all its folders, calendar, notes, and contacts from IX, with Caladan sharing the folder to IX. Immediately, this worked on IX. I activated Entourage on IX, and I could see everything. But that totally screwed up Caladan.
Now, on Caladan, when I either activate Entourage, or open my home folder on Caladan, I get the spinning wheel of death, and after a few seconds I get the first error message window that says : "AFP Connection Status. Looking up Caladan" which is the node I am on. It only offers a "Cancel" button. If I do not press the cancel button, after a minute or so I get another Error window that says: "Connection failed. The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again." I have reverted the IX system deleting the alias I had there and replaced it with the original "Office 2004 Identities" folder which I had saved. This did not help, I also turned off sharing on Caladan with no luck. I have also noticed in the Activity monitor that there are a few AFP Client Processes that are red and labeled as (Not Responding). If this client is a sub process of the finder, I must force quit/restart the finder. One other point to convey to you. It may be unrelated, however the "Documents", "Movies", "Music", and "Pictures" folders in my "Home" directory on Caladan are aliases of the actual directories on a second local disk on Caladan named "Data1". Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Sincerely
Jeff Cameron
PS: I cannot view my email at this time. I will have to view responses on the macosx.com website.

Back