AFP Connection Status Window

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
Alright, I'm having a relatively annoying problem with my Mac Pro. I think it may be because I imported/transfered settings from an older computer, and something might be conflicting or whatever. This is probably a small fix, but I'll go ahead and give you my set up...

The problem is that sometimes, a small window comes up titled 'AFP Connection Status'. The dialogue is 'Looking up Digi Gekko's Computer'. The only button on this box is cancel. If I don't cancel, it will say something about the server not being available. This is very annoying by itself, but it's also screwing some things up. Most importantly, I can't use any web browser other than Safari. Safari is fine for most stuff, but I have a website that I can only edit in Firefox. When I open a different browser, the annoying bugger pops up once again. Whether I click cancel or not, the browser freezes, and I have to force quit it. It also comes up when I open Photoshop or Bridge, but usually doesn't crash/freeze the program.

I know this has something to do with sharing, but I've turned all the settings off and back on, messed around with it, disconnected and reconnected wires, and changed the way my computer connects to the internet.

So... here's the setup of things. Have a cable modem with a wireless router. Have an airport card in the Mac Pro. The router sits on top of the Mac, so I can go wired LAN or wireless. Here's the thing... Digi Gekko is the name of the Mac OS X on my G4's second harddrive. When I transfered the settings (which I guess was a bad idea), and it would only show outdated stuff from the first harddrive, so that's where I imported settings. Yet, it wants to connect (for whatever bizzare reason) to Digi Gekko. My current user name on the Mac Pro is simply Gekko. I have the G4 hooked up on the network, so I can try a variety of things with it.

I guess that's pretty much everything. Typically, stuff like this is a simple problem with a simple fix, but I always be as informative as possible when asking about problems like this.

Any ideas to make this annoying message buzz off?

Back