afp copying: could not determine if file or folder error

pfons

Registered
When using CpMac (or the aqua interface - the result is the same), I sometimes get the error message -43 "could not determine if entry is a file or folder" when I do a recursive copy. Any idea of what the scoop is here and a workaround. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I didn't know you could mount AFP disks! That's something i'd like to do -- does it just go through the mount command?
(Once I get this done, I'll tell you if I have the same problem...)

Zach

The standard root command, mount works fine. You must specify the file system type as afp, (this was actually documented in an earlier message on this server). Although it is not documented in the man page for mount you simply specify:
mount -t afp afp://server/share /mnt
where mnt is a preexisting mount point (.e.g an empty directory on a local disk). As this doesn't appear to be documented anywhere online, I don't have any idea of how to specify passwords.

Thanks a lot! (Sorry for not searching first...)

Any idea if mount sends the passwords securely? Or is it cleartext (ugh!)?

I have heard tell that it is possible to encrypt any TCP stream... but I'm not sure how to do so. Any ideas?

Zach

> Any idea if mount sends the passwords securely? Or is it cleartext (ugh!)?

That should depend on the authentication methods made available by the server; mount doesn't send the URL to the server, it parses it to extract the info it needs to log into the server. If the server only supports cleartext logins, it will have to send the password in cleartext, as would _any_ machine logging into the server. If the server only supports encrypted logins, it will have to send the password encrypted, as would _any_ machine logging into the server.

Back