AFP file locking missing?

WHBA

Registered
Up until the end of 2005, our office worked on a number of Macs networked together without an actual "server". We just installed our server and are now ready to migrate our data onto its share points, but I do not want to do so until I know that FILE LOCKING works the way we need it to.

With the AFP share points I've set up on the server, multiple users on other "client" machines can open the same CAD file simultaneously and then save it as well (assuming permissions are set to RW; it's not a permissions issue), and never know that the file was in use by someone else. Obviously, this means every collaborative effort will result in file corruption / lost work!

It doesn't look to me like there is any sort of file locking at all going on; what I've read here and elsewhere suggests that this feature is only supported for SMB shares, which will not mount on our Mac desktops. Is there any third-party way to enforce locking or at the very least issue warnings to users when they try to open a file that someone else has opened?

Tiger Server supports "unified locking" so if a file is locked under SMB it will be locked under AFP. However, OS X Server doesn't support locking at all, it's up to the application that opens a file to lock it. If your CAD application locked the file under AFP, then it would also be locked on SMB. This isn't just Mac OS X Server, it's a Mac OS X thing period. Mac OS 9 DID lock files at the share point level. So, I have to ask if your CAD program is a Classic program.

Basically, if the application won't like the file, then multiple people can open it, and the last person who saves, wins.

Quark 4 also has this issue with Mac OS X, BTW.

WHBA said:
Up until the end of 2005, our office worked on a number of Macs networked together without an actual "server". We just installed our server and are now ready to migrate our data onto its share points, but I do not want to do so until I know that FILE LOCKING works the way we need it to.

With the AFP share points I've set up on the server, multiple users on other "client" machines can open the same CAD file simultaneously and then save it as well (assuming permissions are set to RW; it's not a permissions issue), and never know that the file was in use by someone else. Obviously, this means every collaborative effort will result in file corruption / lost work!

It doesn't look to me like there is any sort of file locking at all going on; what I've read here and elsewhere suggests that this feature is only supported for SMB shares, which will not mount on our Mac desktops. Is there any third-party way to enforce locking or at the very least issue warnings to users when they try to open a file that someone else has opened?

Back