Afp Service Dropping Users

Taco

Registered
I have a 10.3.9 Server running on a XServe Dual G4 1.33 with 1.5GB RAM. It is bound to Active Directory. It uses AD for authentication only - no user management. I upgraded the Server Aug. 6. I have AFP, SMB, DNS (DNS slave) services running.

It has worked great until this Monday, Aug. 22. Mac users started telling me that their connections were seizing up. Their Macs do not lock up. Server just drops their connection. It does not drop all AFP connections. Those who got kicked out can log back in just as soon as they were dropped and keep going. I have mostly writers and designers at work who use MS Office and Adobe CS Suite 1.0. All Mac clients are on 10.3.8 or above. I have two Tiger users. Each is on 10.4.2.

I checked the Server. AFP service at the Server was still running okay. But the connections graph under Server Admin showed a dramatic drop in connections. I restarted the server today - Aug. 23 and forty minutes later when about 25 users are connected it drops half of them.

This is weird.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, that really could be many things. Obviously, its not the load on the AFP server itself. What other environmental changes might have happened?

Ideally, for really strange things like this, you'd want to have the AppleCare agreement, since it covers your hardware and much of your basic server config. :)

Back