AIM f-ups

mrX

Registered
for some reason, whenever i log into aol instant messanger i get the spinning colorwheel of death and have to force quit. don't get me wrong, i can still log in fine, and my buddy list pops up like normal, but then the stupid f-cking color wheel takes control. i have the newest version (via versiontracker) and even tryed aim in classic. everything appeared to be fine, except i couldn't instant message anybody. then when one of my friends did im me, aim quit. anybody know whats going on?? i'd appreciate any and all input. thanks.

I just started having the same problem today. Deleting the preferences doesn't help, full uninstall/reinstall doesn't help. I guess we wait for a new update from AOL, which should only take 6-18 months ;P

Check out this link if you want to try some other chat programs. I haven't used it in a long time, but Adium should be quite nice and does just AIM. Fire is what I am currently using and it has a lot of cool features. Version 0.30b ought to be coming out "soon". Proteus is great, too, but it's currently been pulled with a new version coming out "soon", also. Both Proteus and Fire are great programs, but if all you use is AIM, then it might be more than you need (although being able to translate text between languages in Fire is über-cool, and Proteus just has a nice feel to it.)

The reason I'm mentioning these is because I haven't had a problem with them. They connect to AIM using a different method, which has fewer features, but ain't AIM.

right. the two programs you mentioned use TOC instead of the OSCAR protocol. so if you use direct connections, file transfers, buddy icons and such.... then don't use fire. but as far as a 'chat' program goes, fire is the best around right now IMO. i just keep a copy of AIM around for file xfers :D

i wish i knew how to solve your problem - have you tried wiping out AIM and starting from scratch?

I just reformatted my 'book yesterday and installed AIM again .. now I'm having the same problem. It must be something with AOL's network.

I think it is AOL because I noticed right after I posted that I had posted on the same day as mrX, three people on the same day seems too much of a coincidence.

Back