airport agrivation

jcombs_31

Registered
I don't know why airport never re-establishes a connection with a closed network that is listed in my preferred networks. If for any reason I drop the connection, it does not automatically reconnect. I have to actually click on choose another network and enter the information, or reboot the laptop.

jcombs_31 said:
I don't know why airport never re-establishes a connection with a closed network that is listed in my preferred networks. If for any reason I drop the connection, it does not automatically reconnect. I have to actually click on choose another network and enter the information, or reboot the laptop.
I was having a similar problem until I recently reinstalled OS X. (I am not recommending this as something you should do, just to fix this problem. I did it for other reasons.) My password would never save for my home network after a restart or shutdown. I'd always have to click the AirPort icon in the menu bar, and then connect to the network. Entering the password was always required, as well, even though, every time, I asked to have the password added to my keychain. It was strange. I'd love to know what caused it, in case it happens again.

Is that the same problem that you are having?

dmetzcher said:
I was having a similar problem until I recently reinstalled OS X. (I am not recommending this as something you should do, just to fix this problem. I did it for other reasons.) My password would never save for my home network after a restart or shutdown. I'd always have to click the AirPort icon in the menu bar, and then connect to the network. Entering the password was always required, as well, even though, every time, I asked to have the password added to my keychain. It was strange. I'd love to know what caused it, in case it happens again.

Is that the same problem that you are having?

I'm running 10.4.5. The problem is not that I can't connect, the connection is fine once the computer starts, but sometimes when it goes into standby the connection is dropped and does not automatically reconnect.

I manage hundreds of these ibooks and it drives me nuts.

(if you are using automatic location)
I connect to a number of networks and always have to set the location manually. Automatic just doesn't work! (and causes the symptom you describe,) Try manually setting a location and use that location.

jh2112 said:
(if you are using automatic location)
I connect to a number of networks and always have to set the location manually. Automatic just doesn't work! (and causes the symptom you describe,) Try manually setting a location and use that location.

I am not using automatic location. I am using the option to join a preferred network in my network list, which happens to be only 1 network. In the advanced options it is even set to keep looking for recent networks if preferred network is not found. I don't know why it does this.

Quick question -- how is this network secured? What's serving the network (Airport stations, non-Apple, etc.)? Is there a user/password that's saved, or is there some other client verification?

Just wondering. I feel your pain, though. Some of this is voodoo, including incompatibilities with some wireless hardware and OS X / Airport. I'm on a network right now (granted, a home network, not industrial-strength) with a Linksys router that occasionally won't grant a connection to this laptop after it wakes from sleep. I've been troubleshooting it for months, but usually just give up and restart the router, which "solves" the problem.

billbaloney said:
Quick question -- how is this network secured? What's serving the network (Airport stations, non-Apple, etc.)? Is there a user/password that's saved, or is there some other client verification?

Just wondering. I feel your pain, though. Some of this is voodoo, including incompatibilities with some wireless hardware and OS X / Airport. I'm on a network right now (granted, a home network, not industrial-strength) with a Linksys router that occasionally won't grant a connection to this laptop after it wakes from sleep. I've been troubleshooting it for months, but usually just give up and restart the router, which "solves" the problem.

It is a wireless network using airespace and wep encryption. We have approximately 70 access points throughout our buildings.

Back