AirPort and non-tcp/udp protocols

LordCoven

Registered
Hey there,

I'm trying to get a VPN set up between the company I work for and my home network. Now I've got it running with a direct connection to my DSL modem, but want to get it working when its running behind my AirPort. Hence I need to open up some ports to the system which will be connecting, but the protocols is a non tcp/udp protocol (I've forgotten the name). But the AirPort Admin doesn't have a facility to let you specify which protocol should be allowed.
Does anyone know if opening a port opens it for all protocols or just tcp/udp?

Cheers,
C

LordCoven said:
Hey there,

I'm trying to get a VPN set up between the company I work for and my home network. Now I've got it running with a direct connection to my DSL modem, but want to get it working when its running behind my AirPort. Hence I need to open up some ports to the system which will be connecting, but the protocols is a non tcp/udp protocol (I've forgotten the name). But the AirPort Admin doesn't have a facility to let you specify which protocol should be allowed.
Does anyone know if opening a port opens it for all protocols or just tcp/udp?

Cheers,
C

I would think you would configure your firewall to allow

UDP port 500
IP 50
IP 51

Thats what I opened to allow my VPN client to connect to our corporate Nortel VPN servers

My question was more along the lines on whether the airport will let through all protocols when you open a port or only tcp/udp, because you can't specify the protocol when mapping ports.
But thanks for you input - I haven't had port 51 open so far, so I'll try that ;)
Cheers,
C

LordCoven said:
My question was more along the lines on whether the airport will let through all protocols when you open a port or only tcp/udp, because you can't specify the protocol when mapping ports.
But thanks for you input - I haven't had port 51 open so far, so I'll try that ;)
Cheers,
C

I don't have an Airport, I use a Netgear wireless router and a OS X VPN client to connect to our Nortel VPN servers. All I did was make sure my firewall was allowing UDP 500 and IP protocol 50 and 51. Everything works fine. I didn't have to tell my router to forward any ports. I Googled for Airport VPN setups and saw something that mentioned a transparency mode for the Airport:

If your connection uses NAT or PAT, you must check the “Use NAT Transparency” box in the “Login Properties” setting up the connection.* If your connection does not use NAT, do not check the box.

I found this information at:

http://www.rice.edu/IT/network/remote_access/vpn/morenat.html

By opening the ports, you're effectively forwarding them if you're using a router :) Just depends on the terminology. Also if you say you opened UPD 500, that means you've specified the protocol. Unfortunately this is impossible with the airport. You only specify the port number. So - I'm left guessing whether this opens it up for all protocols or just for UPD/TCP. If the latter is the case, I'm in trouble, because our VPN server/client uses a proprietary protocol :( I was hoping someone would be able to answer that one for me :) Still - I'll be trying your suggestions to see if I can get it all working and reporting back here :):) Thanks for your help :)
C

Back