Airport and VNC

davstein

Registered
I've been using VNC for OS X and I've just added an airport network. I'm now trying to get VNC to work over the Airport network buut I am having difficulty.

Here's the scenario:

1) I'm running OS X VNC on port 5901

2) I've configured the Airport Base Station to map port 5901 to that computer

3) It doesn't work!

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Originally posted by davstein
I've been using VNC for OS X and I've just added an airport network. I'm now trying to get VNC to work over the Airport network buut I am having difficulty.

A couple things come to mind:

1. Diagnose port mapping. From the computer you are trying to use for the VNC client (and failing to connect to your wireless OSX/VNC box), try to telnet to port 5901 at the AirPort Base Station's IP address. If you don't get a connection and some odd characters, the port mapping isn't working. In terminal on your OSX/wireless machine, telnet to localhost port 5901 to see what it should look like. If you get a connection, research whether VNC server can be accessed via address translation through firewalls, maybe it just doesn't work. I only use the VNC client on my wireless/OSX machine to access a VNC server on the wired network, so I haven't tried what I think you are trying.

2. Get rid of port mapping. You only need it if you are restricted to a single IP address (the Base Station's) on your wired network. If you have a local network with available IPs, just reconfigure the Base Station to do bridging only and VNC directly to your wireless/OS X box without mapping.

I am using VNC over an airport network with fixed ip addresses assigned to the computers, and having great success. No port mapping or extra configuration involved.

It's been a while since I looked at the forum -- but I've gotten it to work -- I did indeed need to create a FIXED IP address for my computer and tell the Airport to map the port I use for Xvnc to point to my computer. It works great! Thanks

d.

Back