Airport Clients missing AppleTalk Zone

daveydave27

Registered
Hey guys.. first time poster.

I have about 15 clients in a network enviornment that are connecting to two airport express base stations. The base stations are connected to each other using WDS, and the main base station is set up to distribute a range of IP addresses through NAT. Our wired network is a 144.210.x.x network and the IP addresses that are being assigned out through the airports are 10.0.x.x addresses. Is this the problem?? Should I reset the range of the IP's to match that of the wired network. Because as of right now the wireless clients have no issue browsing the internet or even hitting servers.. but they are not able to find the Appletalk network.. therefore they can't print to any ETalk printers. Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

You would either have to create an AppleTalk zone for your 10.x.x.x subnet at the router, or you would need to set your ABSes to NOT distribute addresses at all. Let them serve as a hub, and your DHCP server will distribute addresses. Then you should be able to see all AppleTalk services.

..is how i tried to do it initially.. but with WDS it says that you MUST distribute IP addresses when you set it up. if you tell it not to distribute then turn on WDS it gives you a warning and won't let you link your base stations. Am I missing something??

Try this...

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/index.html#Configurator

I had to uncheck the "Disable bridging between Ethernet port and wireless LAN" and also uncheck "Distribute address to wireless and wired hosts using DHCP" to allow my W2K server to distribute IPs through the AE Basestation and the Airport Express config'd with WDS.

One note... if you make any changes to the config with the Airport Admin Utility you'll have to go back with this utility and disable DHCP.

Back