Airport drift

gcoyne

Registered
We have DSL, and an Airport system. I have my G4 right next to the Airport, so no problems there, but my wife (with a TiBook) and my son (iMac 500 MHz) upstairs have noticed that as they sit there doing their work, the Airport signal drifts. You can watch the number of bars go from full to nothing.

They are well within 100 feet, and I know it's not the TiBook metal case causing the problem because my son's iMac shows the same symptoms.

All of us are on X.2

Any ideas, clues?

Thanks

In our house the DSL is upstairs and I'm downstairs. No problems. Maybe you need to move the DSL upstairs. We have ours in the highest point possible. Basically because it's also shared with a PC and the PC reception sucks.

Twister

How many 2.4GHz devices do you own in the house (or do your neighbors have within range)? Many 2.4GHz spread spectrum wireless phones interfere with wireless networks. Microwave ovens could also be a potential source of interference.

Many 2.4GHz spread spectrum wireless phones interfere with wireless networks.

Yup, that's the issue I've been going through these past few weeks. When a call is received, I totally lose my airport signal. The phone is between the airport base station and my computer (it cant be any other way). Not only that, but the phone is two or three times closer to my computer than the ABS is.

I already tried changing the channel for my base station, and the problem is stil there. What other option is left, aside from returning the phone?

The 2.4 GHz phone issue is interesting, but I do not belive applicable here. I do not know what the signal frequency of our phone is, but it's in a completely different part of the house and no phone activity is necessary for this problem to show up--which is all the time.

Thanks though.

I was having some problems with my TiBook with a Linksys wireless access point...try upgrading the firmware on your wireless access point and see if that solves the drifting problem. Don't know why I didn't think of that last night. :)

Back