Airport Express in a wired network?

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
Hi I'm not very up on networking. I curently have a PC and an iMac networked through a router (mainly so they can share my broadband connection) but also so that they can swap files etc. I was looking at the new Aiport Expressstation and I think that it looks great. I was wondering if i conect the airport express station to my current network through its one (WAN - i belive) port will i be able to play the music from my imac - or muct this be done wirelessly? I was also hoping to connect a SB printer to the express would this work? would I be able to acces the printer from my computers?

Im sorry for all of these (wat are probably basic queations) but I dont know alot about networking at all!

thanx

I wonder why you want to buy the express station when you want to use it wired. You could as well just buy a long isolated jack2cinch and plug your iMac to your hifi. You would save a lot of money. However, I think it doesn't matter how the express is plugged to the network, since the packets are still TCP/IP or UDP compatible. But you shouldn't connect the express to your WAN but LAN. Your WAN plug should be already connected to your broadband modem/connection.
The question about SB printer remains. Let's say so much: you can just use USB printers.

USB is what i mean and the whole LAN WAN thing isnt on the router its on the exprees the aiport exprees has a WAN port and I want to connect it to tha LAN port on my router will this work or does the airport exprees only except WAN conections i.e. broadband.

1 more thing what is a "jack2cinch" wire and where would I plug that into my imac.

and i want to add wireless to my network (I dont want the 2 exsistinf comps to wireless though) because I'm going 2 be purchaasing a wireless enabled laptop soon.

well, if you want to go wireless and wanna use the itunes streaming, the express is the only option. By jack2cinch, I meant a cable that has one jack connection (like headphones) and two cinch (like for amps of hifis). You would plug the jack connection to your headphones plug on your Mac and the two cinch heads (red and white for left and right) get to your hifi. You will need this kind of cable anyway. It's the same the express adapter uses.

Back