Airport Express - Not visible to all Macs

doemel

Mac addict since 1993
After using my Airport Express base station for more than two years without problems I have recently started to have one particular issue:

I can see (and connect to) the AX fine on my MBP but my old Ti PB (w/ 11Mbps Airport) can't even see the Airport network anymore. MacStumbler doesn't list it either on the Ti PB.

Here's what's odd:
- The Ti PB has no problem finding and joining other Airport networks (there's one more AX and one old 11MBps Airport base station in our house).
- I haven't changed the config of the problematic AX since I have set it up last time (which was before I got my MBP, so I was setting it up using the Ti PB) until after the Ti PB couldn't see it the network anymore.
- I have reset, to factory default, and re-applied the latest firmware on the AX to no avail. The problem persists
- I have tried both allowing mixed b/g and b-only connections in the AX setup. No difference.
- I have even reseated and rechecked physical contact of the Airport card in the Ti PB. All is connected fine including the antenna.

So, is my AX dying? Anybody here have ever experienced a similar problem? Any hint is greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to buy another AX before Apple releases a significant update to their existing model. I frequently use AirTunes, so I need that functionality.

Both Macs are as up-to-date with their system software as they can possibly be (10.4.7).

MacStumbler doesn't list it either on the Ti PB.

I assume then that it does find it OK on the Macbook, then? If so, then that would indicate the Airport card or settings on the TiPB is the problem, and not your Airport Express.

I assume then that it does find it OK on the Macbook, then? If so, then that would indicate the Airport card or settings on the TiPB is the problem, and not your Airport Express.

I haven't specifically tried MacStumbler on the MacBook Pro. I don't have any issues joining the Airport network using the MBP though, so I didn't bother testing. What baffles me is that the Ti PB is able to connect to (and MacStumbler does see) other Airport networks.

What I forgot to mention in my initial post is that I didn't enable WiFi access security/restrictions on the problematic AX to avoid any error regarding authentication.

Back