Airport/Express problem

pmh1971

Registered
I have a network with an AirPort (graphite) basestation and an AirPort Express in client mode for airtunes. it was working fine until yesterday when my dsl went down for a few hours and now the whole thing is whacked. While the grpahite base station is connected to the internet, and visible in the airport menu, it is not visible in either the airport setup assistant or in the admin utility. meanwhile, the express while it is visible in the admin utility and in itunes, will not join the network. ive reset/restarted/reconfigured several times. still, no. flashing yellow light. i did upgrade the firmware on the express and am thinking there might be some compatibility issue with the graphite firmware, but since i cant see or access it, i cant tell for sure. any ideas??

First thing I would do is unplug your DSL modem, the graphite BS and AEX and shut down all computers. Next, turn on one of your computers. Wait a few minutes then turn on the DSL modem. Once all the lights stop frantically blinking, startup the graphite BS.

At this point, you need to make sure you can connect to the BS with one computer and that it is using the internet through the DSL modem. Do not go any further until you have this working (ie: don't turn the AEX or any other computer on yet).

Once you have this working, plug in the AEX and get it on the network. Once that is functioning in client mode again, you can turn on all other computers and you'll be fine.

Airport is finnicky at times and turning everything on at once or cycling power on 1 item at a time doesn't cut it. You need to go from zero and then turn everything on sequentially, get some of it working, then proceed on till everything is eventually working.

thanks for the speedy response. yeah, i definitely thought of that. restarted everything from zero: 1st modem, then graphite, then powerbook (only computer on network). got the graphite base station working, connected to the internet, etc. express still wont connect, tho. even after reconfig, etc etc. also the graphite base station still doesnt show up in the admin utility, so i cant reconfigure or see if it needs a firmware update.

Back