Airport Extreme and Netgear WNDR 3300

ThurstonOR

Registered
I currently have the Netgear WNDR 3300 set up for 2 PCs (one wired and one wireless N), 2 Tivos (both G), a PS3, Wii, IMac, IPad, and 2 bluray players (I think both N).

I purchased the Airport Extreme to have the USB port to connect my printer (that I have to otherwise turn the PC on to use).

I can connect the Airport Extreme directly to my modem and keep the Netgear installed, eliminate the Netgear completely, or plug the AE into the Netgear (bridged).

What is the best use of my equipment re: physical setup and then splitting of the usage of my devices?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

It all depends. Is your Netgear a Version 1 or version 2? If it is a version one I would just use the Airport Extreme and use the Extremes two networks and your N machine can use the higher data rate. The important thing is to keep all your network devices in the same "subnet". That means the all have the same three set of numbers (192.168.1.x). This way you will be able to share files between all the devices.

Version 1. So you're suggesting to just replace the Netgear with the AE and it will divide up the "work" between my N and G devices? Is this then just a normal install or do I need to do something special?

Sorry for sounding dumb, but Networks give me a headache.

No! On my network the N Mac and the G wireless printer are in the same subnet and all computers can use the printer. Plus my iPhone 3GS is also on G and it is also in the same subnet.

This is why an Apple Airport Extreme or Time Capsule is a little more expensive.

Also consider getting a powered USB2 hub and connect to the back of the Extreme. This way you can have multiple USB2 hard drives and a printer at the same time.

Back