Airport Extreme Base Station as Wireless Bridge

dnkmett

Registered
Question about AE Base station as a wireless-wireless bridge --

I have accessed my ISP via a wireless broadband link using my 17in G4 imac-based Airport Extreme card to connect in the past using PPPoE. I ran into problems staying on the network as described in a previous post -- I think due in part to signal strength / consistency.

I use my Airport Extreme base station as my home hub to share my dial up internet connection, printer, and file transfers. I have three imacs and an ibook. I've tried setting the AE base station up as a bridge to access my wireless ISP network to get around the dial up, but fear doing too much to the configuration and screwing the whole thing up for broadband and/or local use.

The wireless signal is much better on my upper floor so I thought if I could figure out how to set the AE base station up as a wireless bridge, put the AE base station on the upper floor, i could have everyone on the net completely wirelessly. (wireless ISP to AE base station, AE base station to AE cards on all local imacs -- everything is OSX 10.4 now too)

Can anyone recommend references, resources, experience to work this out? It's possible isn't it?

Failing this, anyone have an idea of how to increase the sensitivity of the antenna on the airport extreme card i have in my 17in g4 imac? (not the base station)

Thanks

Back