airport extreme base + usb hub

ja2661

Registered
I got a base station on ebay (I'm assuming that even though the item description said it had a modem it doesn't because it only has places for WAN and LAN connectors and no phone line)

I have set up a network and I can access any one of my printers as long as it is plug into the airport directly.

What I REALLY want to do is use my USB2.0 Hub (by IOGEAR) so that I can access both printers at the same time

any thoughts?

thanks

-jim

If you turn file sharing on and printer sharing checked, on all computers and one of those computers plugged in to a printer, that printer should show up as a "shared printer" over your network in your print dialogue box "printer" drop down menu; and the other one plugged in to the airport will show up as a Rendevous or Bonjour printer. I had all kinds of trouble with Rendevous but this new Bonjour with Tiger seems to be the same thing and it works. Hint: if you haven't been at the hitched-to-a-printer computer for awhile, it may be very asleep and its printer not show up as an option on your travelling computer. When I know I am gong to be working around the house for the day I always make sure the iMac connected to a printer (that I would use as a shared printer) is awake and listening up, first thing in the am. Hope this helps; I am far from an expert on most of these things, but this one works, in this way, for me.
julie

basicly what i need to do is access the two printers I have in the basement with my laptop - while I work upstairs, so I have the two printers plugged into a usb hub and the hub into the extreme base station.

through bonjour the laptop knows about the two printers - but when I try to print - it doesn't go thru the hub to the printers

-jim

AirPort Extreme Base Station
You can connect one USB printer at a time for base station printing. Do not connect multiple printers through a hub.
AirPort Extreme Base Station (PoE/UL 2043)
When you have base station firmware 5.5 or later, you can connect up to four USB printers to the base station via a USB hub.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107908

thanks for your help - do you know if there is any limitations to the hub I can use

currently I have a "mega" hub that is a powered usb hub + card reader

-thanks

-jim

No, I don't, but you can only connect up to 4 printers. Other devices connected to the hub probably would prevent it from working.

Back