Airport Extreme Card/Netgear WG511T – Compatibility?

Xlator

Registered
A friend of mine has just bought a Netgear WG511T 802.11g 108Mbps WiFi Card for his Dell laptop, and we have been trying to set up internet sharing from my Powerbook G4 w/ Airport Extreme. It works without a hitch with WEP encryption turned off, but when it is turned on (both in 40 and 128bit mode), the Netgear card can find the network and connect to it, but the connection never stabilizes, the indicator jumps between 1Mbps and 108Mbps for a few seconds, then the connection disappears and then comes back on again and does the same thing. We have updated all drivers etc. after reading about a problem with the WEP encryption, in that Airport Extreme and Netgear used different algorithms for the encryption – and, indeed, before we updated the Netgear drivers we were unable to connect at all with encryption on.

What is even more strange is that it works fine if we set it up as a Computer-to-Computer ad-hoc network, whereas using the Mac as an access point fails, as described above. Any ideas?

Xlator said:
A friend of mine has just bought a Netgear WG511T 802.11g 108Mbps WiFi Card for his Dell laptop, and we have been trying to set up internet sharing from my Powerbook G4 w/ Airport Extreme. It works without a hitch with WEP encryption turned off

You're one step ahead of me. I'm trying to connect to my Apple Airport Express base using the WG511T card on an IBM machine running Windows 2000. I can "see" the Express network, but I can't connect, even with WEP turned off.

Please tell me what settings you used on the WG511T, and also whether you ever figured out how to use it with WEP encryption.

Thanks!

Back