Airport Extreme Cards

Dean M

Registered
Hi. I am running a 125GHz 17" flat screen G4 Power PC.( with the round base) It has an Airport Extreme card installed (M8881LL/A) but it doesn't always make a good wireless connection to the Airport Base Station which is only in the next room. Can airport cards go bad? And would I have to buy the same model (M8881LL/A) or is there an Apple website that can give me alternative cards to buy.........Thanks folks.........Dean M

So what your saying is it will connect, it just shows low bars? What is the position of your Airport hub and the Computer, what is obstructing the two?

Hello Icemanjc.
Not sure what you want to know......My current Airport Extreme card is installed in the bottom of my computer, the Airport Base Station is about 50' away in another room, seperated by a single wall (old house, maybe lath and plaster and chickenwire)
and maybe three side by side 4'x6' closets with sliding mirror doors.
I'm not using a hub (unless your referring to the Base Station.) And yes, about 3/4 of the the time the bars are at half or lower......

What I really want to know is if an Airport cards can fail. I wouldn't mind spending the $49 (which includes installation) from the local Apple dealer. Thanks. Dean M

Do you notice a performace drop? Because bars don't always mean much, I have an iMac G5, my airport base station is about 10' away from my computer and i get 4/5 bars, 50' away depending on what wireless hub you have and the type of computer you have isn't really that bad. I personally have never heard of Airport cards going bad, so I doubt it is going bad, what kind of computer do you have?

As you will have noticed in my original post..........iMac 125.Ghz-17" flat screen
G4 with the round base and large chrome adjustable bar...........Thanks. Dean M

Back