airport extreme issues

dschwartz65

Registered
Greetings. I've recently experienced difficulty connecting to the internet via my Airport Extreme base station. The problems may be elated to ther fact that I recently reinstalled OS 10.4 (I also downloaded and installed all system updates so am now running 10.4.7)

I can connect to two wireless networks, one called "default" and one called "David." The one called "David" is the network I configured and it uses my Airport Base Station. For all I know, the "default" network, which I did not create, also uses the same base station. Here's the puzzliing thing: The network named "David" gives a strong signal but doesn't connect to the internet, while "default" gives a weaker signal but does connect to the internet. Ideally I want to connect to the net using the wireless network that gives me the strongest signal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

David

Best to my knowledge, your base-station can not be broadcasting two networks. It is possible that the default network is another wireless connection.
For your network, "David", go to Airport Admin, and try using a different channel, as your may be getting interference.

If "default" is weak, it's probably a neighbour's network.

Try a different channel, as said. Also you could try turning on the Enable Interference Robustness option.

Are you running the latest base station firmware? I think it's v5.7 now. I found 5.6 was buggy and reverted to 5.5.1 until 5.7 became available. The Airport updates don't appear on the "Software Update" you need to find them on the Apple site.

You could also have a play with something like iStumbler to see what's going on.

Back