Airport Extreme: link goes up and down ever 3 sec.

davidbrit2

Licensed Computer Geek
This beats the hell out of me. I just got my new iBook yesterday, and I'm trying to use it here on the campus network with Airport Extreme, and every three seconds, the link status cycles between up and down. The signal is perfectly fine - 3 bars steady (when it's actually up). And my old iBook with a standard Airport card didn't have any trouble here. Should I suspect a faulty access point, or something freakishly misconfigured with my card? It's doing the exact same thing with two different access points that are on channels 6 and 11.

Check your SoftwareUpdate for the Airport Update, it's supposed to correct problems like this. Or you can go to Apple and get it.

version 3.4.3?

Try reseating the card.
Make sure the antenna is secure.
Microwave or 2.4GHz phone nearby?

Talk to the campus IT guy to see if he/she can help.

Okay. Now this is just weird. I just walked over to the student center to try it there. Lo and behold...

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~brittedg/AirportGraphGood.pdf

Worked beautifully there. Now, normally I'd suspect some kind of incompatibility between my card and whatever access point the university put into this particular building. Except that my girlfriend bought an iBook about a month ago, with nearly identical specs, and it didn't have any trouble over in my room. So I think I'm going to have to go over to the help desk and bother the IT guys tomorrow.

Alright, I just went over to IT, had them refresh my address entry in the access control lists, and by the time I got back to my apartment, it had re-propogated, and now it works. Weird. I guess their custom app for updating access lists across multiple access points simultaneously has a few bugs in it. That would explain why I could never get my old iBook to connect in the library. Heh.

Back