Airport Extreme-ly Worthless

AKMedia

Registered
I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and I think it's a hunk of junk. Apple admitted that the APBS has little tolerence for busy network traffic and for 2.4 Gh interference and they weren't kidding!! Their new firmware update 5.0.4 was SUPPOSED to fix that but alas the problem is still there. The slightest bit of interference and the signal drops right out and the APBS stops transmitting. Not to mention the range stinks.

I'm a big Apple fan most of the time but I've also owned two D-Link wireless products and never had problems like this in the full year that I used the D-Link products.

Time for another firmware update folks! And this time, I hope Apple gets it right!!

Let's face it. Being on an Apple piece of hardware isn't revolutionary, nor is it heaven compared to the PC. I find, personally, that there are way more advantages to going to a third-party vendor and to get a PC, but that's just me. A lot of people, especially here, will swear by Apple to the death. If Jobs was to offer a can of poison for 135$, Apple fanatics would buy it and make sure to drink every last drop.

Andre

But it IS a problem -- enough so that Apple is releasing firmware updates to deal with it. So rock or not, this is a real issue that needs a real solution. And, by the way, I'm a HUGE Apple fan, but my being a supporter of Apple is not insurance against complaining to the company about a shoddy product.

I just bought an AirPort a few weeks ago... But since I'm only using it for Web surfing I got the old one instead of the X-Treme. The fact is the old one is much faster than my DSL internet connection and I only have one wireless computer... So the new AirPort Extreme would have added no value... (Especially when you consider the issues that come up with interference and mixed 802.11 a & g traffic.)

In this case I think Apple might be pushing technology that there is not yet a need for.

So the new AirPort Extreme would have added no value...

True, for your case. I'm thinking that maybe an Airport Graphite Base Station would have done the trick for you. Cheaper.

OK, well [the APBS] is not worthless (I've had a chance to calm down in a day) but it is a pain. I spent my Sunday morning snaking wires through the wall and mounting the base station high on the wall and reception has definately improved.

I still maintain, however, that this should not be necessary and the one should get as decent reception with the unit on a shelf (as it was before).

So if you buy and Airport Extreme Base Station you must either plan on mounting it on the wall or putting it on a very high shelf.

And, I still think that another firmware update that makes the unit less prone to interference is in order.

Originally posted by cellfish
If Jobs was to offer a can of poison for 135$, Apple fanatics would buy it and make sure to drink every last drop.

Andre

It costs $129 and it's called "aqua" ;)

Back