Airport Extreme with different brand of router?

One Sick Puppy

Registered
I'm assuming the aircard extreme (for my iBook) will work with almost any router, but I wonder if, apart from the Apple brand brand name, there is any advantage to getting the relatively expense Apple router?

If the router supports 802.11b or 802.11g standards then the AirPort Extreme card should work just fine.

One Sick Puppy said:
I'm assuming the aircard extreme (for my iBook) will work with almost any router, but I wonder if, apart from the Apple brand brand name, there is any advantage to getting the relatively expense Apple router?

Airport and Airport extreme are just a fancy way of saying 802.11b and 802.11g, i have a 802.11b router (linksys) and it works with my airport card fine

RGrphc2 said:
Airport and Airport extreme are just a fancy way of saying 802.11b and 802.11g, i have a 802.11b router (linksys) and it works with my airport card fine

Well, my Linksys router actually has b and g wireless but it works great with my regular ol airport card in my G3 Pismo Powerbook.

It's been frustrating to watch apple try to market the airport extreme device as a "music extension" device as well as an airport. I read their marketing materials on their website and of course they want you to add Extremes to your Aiport Base Station to extend your wireless connection coverage area. When in fact you don't even need the Airport base station—the Airport Extreme is a base station in and of itself. Very strange, but shrewd. I guess.
;(

Back