AirPort Extreme...

peanutbutter

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a 12.1"/1GHz/Combo iBook G4. I'm going to get an AirPort Express Base Station to hook up to the broadband network I have here. It says in the feature list of the 12.1" iBook that it is 'AirPort Extreme Ready.' So my question is, does that mean that I have to buy an AirPort Extreme Card or is it already built in?

I appreciate all the help.

Hi peanutbutter and welcome to the forum.
Airport Extreme ready means you will have the possibility to plug an Airport Extreme card to it but it's not yet included. You will need to add an Airport Extreme card to your option list.

My wife's got that iBook. I believe it is a good choice and... yup, you have to buy it apart.

Thanks for the welcome.

Glad to hear it's a good choice; I don't really want to fork out the cash for a PowerBook (or even the higher-up iBook models), but I was a little concerned about how well it would perform.

Save some money and get a wireless router rather than the Airport Base Station.

Add as much ram as you can afford, OS X likes ram.

Well, we already have a router, and there are two computers hooked up to it already. Is it possible then to have a wireless router as well? And, about how much would it cost (the router itself plus whatever I would have to buy to add on to the iBook)?

Yes, you can use your router and the wireless together. I did that until my wired router died. Then I bought a Netgear 814 wireless router and packed away my base station.

Wireless routers often sell for $30.00, some lower, some higher. Check http://www.dealmac.com daily for deals.

Get Apple's Airport card for the iBook.

Oh, so the AirPort Card is good for just about everything, not just the three base stations?

Well, in any case, that sounds like a better deal... $129 instead of $228.

Back