Airport help please

dave25

Registered
Hope someone can help a non-technical person with an Airport problem. I had a working set-up with my iMac connected directly to a router, and an Airport base station wich my Airport-carded iBook uses to connect to the internet. I wanted to add a PC to the network, and was having some difficulty getting it to connect, so I tried changing the settings for the Airport base station (using the Airport Admin utility), specifically I changed from static IP addresses to distributed using DCHP (or something similar!). It didn't help, so I gave up with the PC and wanted to change it back, but the Airport Admin utility wouldn't let me enter the basestation configuration screen. Having looked for advice on this site I tried doing a soft reset of the basestation, but it seems to have had no effect, and now the Airport Admin Utility doesn't "see" the basestation at all, hitting the "rescan" button doesn't help. Any ideas how I should procede?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you trying to access your base station wireless? I would do it over your iMac if you didn't do by now. And what OS are you using?
I would recommend you to set all network options on auto (for pc and mac) first. Than try to use your ethernet connection to the base station to use the admin tool.
Btw, isn't there any reset button on the airport base station?

Thanks for replying. I was trying to do it non-wirelessly through the iMac, but it wouldn't have it. Ironically I have in fact solved the problem by using the iBook, which allowed me to reset the basestation settings wirelessly. There is a reset button on the base station but pressing it didn't see to achieve anything. Anyway, the problem is solved so I'm going to leave well enough alone now!. Many thanks for offering help

If you set the basestation to distribute IP adresses through DHCP and set up your PC to connect through ethernet and to obtain an IP via DHCP everything should work automagically ... this is also what I have done, and it works flawlessly.

If you post some more details we may well get this working ...

Back