Airport Hi-Jack

sredhead

Registered
After disconnecting from the net via internet connect, then closing down the airport connection to my Snow base station and turning off my computer you would think that all is well. Next day I find the lights on the base station flashing like crazy like their is heavy network activity. If I boot my computer and try to access the internet I can't.

The only current solution is to unplug the base station from the power for some time, then after reconnecting to the power I use Airport Utility to restart the base station, then all is well.

This is happening a lot recently - any ideas what is going on?

Have you password protected your base-station? Could anybody else possibly have access to it?

symphonix said:
Have you password protected your base-station? Could anybody else possibly have access to it?

Yes it is password protected and no one should have access to the password or Snow airport station.

It is mostly overnight that the Base station goes hyper and I can find in the morning all the lights flashing like it is being accessed.

Are you able to set the Snow stations to only use your MAC address? See if that makes a difference.

Also, do you connect to the net with a DSL modem, or the internal modem. It could be possible that the DSL modem is having a chat session with the base station ;)

I know my AP Extreme one has the WIRELESS access light flashing when only the iMac on the LAN port is connected. See, Apple products have minds of their own.

Thanks for the input Hypernate. Both lights are flashing when the computers are all turned off. This usually occurs overnight, never during the day. Not sure how to set the Base station to only recognise the computers in my home. The modem is DSL.
(p.s. age doesn't matter, someone of 70 could have just relived the same stuff year after year!)

Well, I've never set up a Snow BS, but if it's anythign like the AE ones, try this:

1. Open the AirPort Admin Utility
2. Select your Base Station from the list.
3. Press configure, and type in your password when you are asked it.
4. Now, in the window that comes up, click the Show All Settings button.
5. Click the Access Control tab.
6. Click the + button next to the list at the top to add a computer to the access list.
7. To add the computer you are using, click 'this computer"
8. Get the MAC address of your other computers (AirPort ID in the Network pref pane, or written on the AirPort card)
9. Add them also.
10. Now restart your base station, and it should work.

You can't use access control for computers connected via LAN to the BS though. They all automatically get access.

Also, I am using th emost recent version of the AirPort software, and Panther, which may make a difference to the set up. Hope this helps you.

Back