Airport in, ethernet out?

MikeXpop

iEye
Tomorrow at school one of my classes has the mobile lab (ie 6lb Compaqs with wireless cards plus wireless internet). Anyway, a friend and I are going to bring in our own laptops. I have an iBook with OS X.2.8, and he has a Vaio with XP Home. His vaio doesn't have a wireless card, so I was wondering if I could recieve the signal with my iBook and then hook the iBook up with the Vaio and then my friend could get internet access that way? Is it possible? What do I have to do? Is it because of XP Home?

Thanks.

I suppose you could use that "Internet Sharing" thing in the Sharing control panel. If I'm not completely wrong, it acts as a DHCP server, just like a normal router.

Hmmmm, can you set up two network-environments (or locations)? I don't think so. But than on the other hand, this option in the controle panel for sharing the internet connection wouldn't make sense. Maybe it is just working on the dial-up modem.
Interesting situation...

Since you tried with your winme box and it didn't work, it should be the same with the laptop as well.
But it must be possible somehow! Hmmmmmm...

I was thinking some more and there are actually 2 more possibilities to connect two comps:
1. bluetooth
2. firewire
there are tools out for both (I think) that support TCP/IP
What about this? Instead of using your 100MBit network, you can manage with bluetooth of firewire.
It just seems that you can't use ethernet and airport at the same time

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
I was thinking some more and there are actually 2 more possibilities to connect two comps:
1. bluetooth
2. firewire
there are tools out for both (I think) that support TCP/IP
What about this? Instead of using your 100MBit network, you can manage with bluetooth of firewire.
It just seems that you can't use ethernet and airport at the same time

Airport and ethernet are different network ports, so it's no problem using them both at the same time.

The easiest solution would be buying a WiFi access point and connecting it to a switch or directly to the computer. Should be around $50.

Well, this is only for an hour and a half. I really don't want to spend anything, plus I leave for school in 10 minutes. Thanks for all your help anyway guys. I'll try it with the laptop anyway. If it doesn't work, he can just plug into the wall.

ksv, I thought so too. But now try to connect a lan to your ethernet and use your airport for another one (or just for your router)... Does it work?
I mean, can you browse through the ethernet lan comps and also for example surf in the web?
That's why I got suspicious about it and guessed they are somehow not really independent

Back