Airport/Internet problems

Eolake

Registered
Hi

I just got an iMac (flat panel) (wonderful machine), running X.
I have an Airport base station which is connected to the Net and working fine for my other machines.
The iMac is connecting fine to the base station and the network.

...But still there is simply no Net connection. No reaction in the browser or anything.

I have poured over the Network settings, run the Airport Setup Assistant, read the chapter in OSX Missing Manual, and looked in the help files, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Yours, Eolake

Originally posted by Eolake

I have poured over the Network settings, run the Airport Setup Assistant, read the chapter in OSX Missing Manual, and looked in the help files, all to no avail.

This sounds wierd, but here are at least some things you can check:

1. Does the Airport base run DHCP, if so:
- Have you set it up with DHCP in the Network prefs?
- Have you specified the DNS servers?
2. Have you set the Airport-card to be the first network interface in the Network preferences? (you can drag them up and down to specify priority)
3. If you have a protected Airport base station, to only allow specified MAC adresses, is your imac added there?
4. Can you connect to sites using their IP? Try 17.254.3.183 for apple.com (if it works, there`s a DNS problem)
5. Can you reach the other computers with ping? (use the Network Utility in the Utilities folder for that)

Oh well, there are so many variables and pitfalls, but using the Airport setup utility should make it pretty straight-forward.

Originally posted by vikingstad

3. If you have a protected Airport base station, to only allow specified MAC adresses, is your imac added there?

That's it!!
I had totally forgotten that in an attack of paranoia a few months ago I bound it to the two machines I had.
I have now added the iMac's airport card's MAC address (hardware address) to the base stations' allowed addresses, and it is on the Net now. Took 2 minutes. Thanks very much.

Odd, by the way, I would have expected the machine to be rejected when I tried to connect to the network, but it did not. Does it only protect the Internet connection, not the network?

Back