Airport Network not picking up base station

barrowman

Registered
Hi got a G4 667mhz Tibook with an airport base station, up to a few weeks back everything was working fine in both OSX and OS9 however suddenly one day in OSX my airport network icon on the menu bar was greyed out as it said there were no networks to connect to, so I had all sorts of panics, and restarts and reinstalls of the latest version of the software (which is mirrored on the OS9) messing about with the airport admin, which was pointless as it couldn't pick up the base station.

So I thought "oh no my airport or base station is stuffed" however back in OS9 it worked fine (thus my ability to write this mail from my bedroom!) And the network was visible and then today in OSX I managed to connect to another wireless network (PC) no problem.

What has happened and more importantly how can I fix it? I have messed about with everything in the network system pref but nothing seems to rectify it...

Thx in advance...

... that you closed the network to outsiders? This is an important feature, but one that can really be annoying at times if you don't realize its active.

Essentially what closing a network does means that it doesn't allow anybody onto the network without the precise name of the network. If you open the Airport Admin Utility, you should be able to type in the name somewhere, and then it should show a base station that is in that network. It might be that your setting for the network got deleted somehow and now because the network is closed that it is refusing to identify it.

Hope this helps.

Back