airport/network - usb modem question

legomac

Registered
Hi,

I have a usb modem on my mac mini - works fine. I also have an ibook. I've set up my airport express to act as a 'bridge'. Both machines see eachother share printing etc - can anyone tell me how I can let the ibook share the internet connection on the mac mini or alternatively give me a steer on where to find some reading/info?? The modem is a speedtouch 330.

On mac-mini had you tried setting the airport as the port to share the Internet connection (system preferences -> sharing -> internet)?
After that, on your ibook just set its gateway (or default route) to mac-mini (sp -> nw -> airport tcp/ip ->gw/router).

Thanks for your response - I'm really new to networking & still fairly new to macs. I set the sp -> sharing -> int. but got lost on setting up the ibook gateway. Could you give me a bit more info - in the airport/TCp/IP box how do I set the router (manually:address)? apologies if this is a dopey question

many thanks

First understand the network concept, then try to find your way using the MacOSX GUI ;-).

The gateway is the machine which has more than one network, and known how to route packets between each different network, "sharing" its network presence.

Your mac-mini lives in 2 network worlds, and you said it to share the internet connection with its airport network card interface.
It has 2 active network interfaces, each one with its own IP address.
Take note of its airport IP address, you will need it when configuring your ibook.

On the ibook airport tcp properties, look for a line with "router" or "gateway", and "manually:address" inform the previous noted mac-mini airport IP address.

You also should mark this airport connection as the "default route", so the ibook will use it to access the internet.

Things should be simpler if the airport is the ibook's unique active network card, the auto/dhcp configuration of its airport IP address will let you enjoy the internet once it is shared on the mac-mini airport network.

Back