Airport - no signal, error when connecting?

nukethenick

Registered
My school has a netgear router to the internet. I can see the network under "internet connect" but when I select it I get "an error occured when connecting to XXXXX"

When I load the airport admin utility however, there are no base stations to be seen.

Another thing is, I don't see any signal at all on the signal meter. Strange since the network turns up under the list in internet connect.

Apple troubleshooting suggests that the card might be installed improperly or something, but this is a powerbook and I've never been inside it. On the other hand, I haven't used airport on this machine before so I haven't actually been able to verify that it's working, hardware wise.

I thought they might be using a router other than 811.b or .g but I doubt it.

What would you guys suggest? Are there utilities that allow you to check that the card is installed properly?

Make sure that when you click on the signal meter in the menu bar, that it says the SSID above other...

Make sure you have Automatic set as your location.

Using the Netgear Router, you won't see any base station listed, but you should see the signal meter working.
Did you use the Airport Setup Assistant?

bobw said:
Using the Netgear Router, you won't see any base station listed, but you should see the signal meter working.
Did you use the Airport Setup Assistant?

I did use the assistant, and it tells me the same thing when it tries to connect. It presents the network on the list and I can select it, but then it gives me the unknown error notice.

Why should it matter if I have Automatic network chosen for this? It's still just way of connecting. Maybe they did install the card incorrectly at apple... I think it's a hardware issue.

Like I said, the signal meter is dead in the menubar, but there are 2 networks to chose from. The one I want, and another school's which is password protected.

All the router needed was a firmware upgrade. Luckily I got the school's permission to update it so now everything works.

Back