Airport problem with wireless phone

Hos

Registered
Hi,
Season's Greetings to all!
I'm having a problem with interference from my 2.4 Ghz wireless phones and my Airport conections to my computers. Everytime I answer the phone or call out I loose internet connection. I realize that the airport operates on this same frequency ( I didn't realize this at the time I bought the airport.) My question is:
Should I buy phones at a higher frequency (around 7Ghz) or lower frquency?
Has anybody had this problem with their set-up and did changing phones solve the problem?
Thanks for any info.

set up: MAC OS 10.4.3 G4 Powerbook - 10.4.3 G4 IMAC - connected to Road Runner cable modem
Thanks
Hos

Very easy question. Yes, I've dealt with your struggles. The answer is: 900mhz phone (if money is an issue), but 5.8Ghz is preferable.

I realize that the airport operates on this same frequency ( I didn't realize this at the time I bought the airport.)

All 802.11b/g routers utilize that frequency.

Assuming you have the Apple system - otherwise try something similar on your software.

Open Airport Admin Utility. Select the Aiport. Choose Configure

On the Airport Tab page, click Wireless Options at bottom right.

Tick the "Enable Interference Robustness".

You might also want to set the wireless access point to a different channel. If you are in the US, the standard channels are 1, 6, and 11. However, you can use the others if you like. For me, channel 11 has given me the best signal, and we have 2.4 GHz phones at our house.

My friend had the same struggle. Between moving the router and phone around, and experimenting with the channel set-up, we got it to work. Set aside a few hours, and see what options you have as far as positioning the phone and router. Try the channels, as nixgeek said, and many restarts of the base station are to be expected.

powermac said:
My friend had the same struggle. Between moving the router and phone around, and experimenting with the channel set-up, we got it to work. Set aside a few hours, and see what options you have as far as positioning the phone and router. Try the channels, as nixgeek said, and many restarts of the base station are to be expected.

And then there's the microwave oven. It all depends on how much space there is in your home and how it is arranged. Back at my old place, no matter where I put the computer in relation to the airport base station, there would always be something obstructing the path of the wireless signal the ABS was to emit. This becomes an even greater issue if your computer is a portable; you're bound to be be afflicted by interference, given that you'll probably be working at different spots of your home.

Hello all,
Thank you for your reponses and suggestions. I reset the airport to channel 11 and everything seems to be working now. (I didn't realize I could set the channel from automatic mode.) I am no longer getting knocked off line when I answer the phone. Thanks to you guys I didn't have to go out and buy a new phone set up.
Again Happy Holidays and a great New Year to all.

Hos

Channel 11 does seem to work most of the time, especially when you're dealing with the pesky wireless phones and microwave ovens (that's what my wifi router is set to). However, YMMV. :D Glad to hear things are back in order. :)

Back