airport question

Solaris

Official something...
I'm thinking of buying an Airport to connect a PC + my TiBook to the internet.

Can a Win XP PC (connected to the Airport LAN port) and my TiBook (connected via Airport card) get served ip addresses from my ADSL router connected to the WAN port?

I do not want the Airport to act as a DHCP server.

Dear All,

Yes you can, no problem. To be honest, you might want to search the Forum next time as this has been discussed in the past, I keep tell people.

Anyway, here is what you do:

1. I suspect that you have just got ASDL installed and you want your TiPB to surf the Internet via Airport. From the description that you have given, I assume that your set up is, a PC of some kind with Windows Server operating on it and you have a USB ASDL Modem connected to it? I also assume that your Airport is connected to your PC via an Ethernet cable? If you have, here is the solution.

2. Connect on config the PC to surf the Internet as normal, don't worry about the Mac just yet, get your PC up and running, so you know you are getting an outside connection. I am assuming that you have a static IP number?

3. Connect the Airport basestation to your PC via the ethernet cable.

4. For the next part, you need to config the Airport basestation and TiPB so you can share the Internet connection.

5. I highly recommend that you read the documentation on this in your PC helpfiles, as it describes in detail on what to do.

6. If memory serves, when the PC shares an Internet connection, it sets aside a subnet mask of IP numbers so that you can easily connect devices to the network.

7. Config your Airport basestation and TiPB with these IP numbers etc and you should be home and dry.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the response, but put the knives away. I did search the forums, but none really answered the question. I should really elaborate...

I've had ADSL for about a year. I have currently:
- Alcatel Speedtouch 510 single port ethernet ADSL router.
- TiBook (10.2)

Soon a WinXP PC will join the network (new flatmate). I want to buy an airport, but want to save money and not buy a switch/hub if not needed.

As stated the plan I have would be to plug the ADSL router (ethernet) into the WAN port and connect the PC to the LAN port. The TiBook, obviously, connects wirelessly.

This seems to be the "Apple" way of doing it. From their website:

What’s more, you can even use the AirPort firewall to shield the wired computers on your LAN from online attacks. So by connecting a single computer (or a hub connecting several computers) directly to this port, you can place all your computers — both wireless and wired — behind the protection of the AirPort firewall.

The important part to the question is this: The ADSL router acts as a DHCP server and firewall. Will DHCP requests pass though the airport from the PC and Mac unhindered and will the routers DHCP response pass back to it clients through the airport without it interfering.

ie: can the airport act just as a 2 port hub/switch (port 1: LAN port, port 2: wireless)

It is important that the airport NOT act as a dhcp server. It is also important I not rely on Windows internet connection sharing as the PC will not always be on. If that's the only way to do it then it's not worth the bother.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I had all this info ready in the first post, but !@%$!ing moz crashed before I clicked submit.

Never mind. I bought the airport today and it works the way I thought it would (with the ADSL router as the DHCP server).

My cisco vpn 5000 client even works, but I had to uncheck NAT then reselect it to get data to transfer across the VPN(?)

I tested the PC's connection by turning off the airport card in my TiBook and connecting via ethernet cable to the LAN port.

Back