Airport signal strength through solid ground

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
I am setting up a wireless network with airport extreme. My home office is in the basement, and that's where the airport base would be. Will the fact that it's in the basement affect the signal going outside into the yard and reduce the 150ft range?

Now, of course the ground is going to affect the range of the Airport. The real question is, what kind of ground influences it HOW? For instance, earthy soil vs. desert dirt vs. granite vs. .....

Conductive gorunds are the worst. So humid earth is worst that dry dirt. And concrete with metal reinforcement can also be efficient to block the waves. Another good rf isulator is glass with metal masking (used against the sun light).

You might be able to reduce the effect by putting the base station on a high shelf rather than a desk - reduce the amount of earth it has to travel through...

im not familiar with APS's , but does it have an antenna port?, maybe you could use that to extend the reach, maybe?

Where are you going to be (hoping to) receive the signal? Outside in the yard, or inside the house, above the airport?

I used to have the exact opposite - airport upstairs, laptop in basement - and it worked fine.

EDIT: Ah, you said in the yard. Missed that on my first read.

You could perhaps put an Airport Express upstairs, in a room above the first airport, to act as a booster.

Back