Airport update v4.2 stops internet connection

Ricco

Registered
Hi

I have an iBook G4 running OS X 10.3.9, and have recently set up a wireless network using an Airport extreme base station. All was going great until the other day when I downloaded an update for the base station.

The update was v4.2, and I didn't notice, much to my annoyance, that it was only compatible with os x 10.4.2. Nether the less it installed, and now my airport base station won't talk to the ethernet modem I use to connect to my isp.

I've re-installed update v4.2 for os x 10.3.3 or later, but seems to make no difference.
Network settings on both the mac and the base station are the same i.e. set to DHCP, with most options set to default 'automatic'.

I'm debating on whether to upgrade to OS X tiger (10.4), as wouldn't mind this anyway, but to see if this will solve the problem, as then I would be running a compatible OS. But then it's a costly way to solve the problem.

Does anyone know if there is a way to uninstall recent updates, similar to PC's where you can go into add/remove and uninstall stuff?

The problem also seems to affect a windows laptop that I am running on the network, previously with no problems. Both this and my ibook talk to the base station fine, which internet connect says is connected to the internet, but neither can pick up the internet connection.

I've looked to see if there are any modem driver updates, it's a D-Link 300T, but there aren't any.

Any suggestions of help would be very much appreciated. Am pretty new to macs so struggle at times to find my way around.

Ta in advance!

I set up an Airport network with a D-Link 300 modem connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station with 5.5.1. As soon as it was loaded I was offered an update to 5.6. With this loaded everything stopped, then worked intermittently with access by only one machine at a time. Reinstalling 5.5.1 sorted it all out.

Does the new utliity software update install 5.6 firmware without telling you? If so try a 5.5.1 install of the base station stuff (after a reset).

Back