Airport very slow with Linksys Wap11

BonZeb

Registered
I recently purchased a Titanium 667/30 with the built-in airport card. My roommate has a Linksys Wap11 base unit, which he uses with his IBM laptop and a wireless card.

He can get over 300k/sec easily via the wireless network. My Titanium seems to have a limit of around 18k/sec, no matter what machine I am pulling from (local, remote, http, ftp, samba, everything).

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

There is a new firmware upgrade for the linksys WAP's. Have him apply the upgrade, I suspect that your transfer rates will increase significantly.

Y

Unfortunately, he already has the latest -- 1.4f.8 or something .. I was hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't :(

Also check out that physically the antenna is firmly seated in the airport card. I have first hand experience in seeing the factory installed antenna being loosely placed.

Does the airport sensor show 4 bars? If not, make sure you're picking up his router, and not another. A computer in my office was picking up the wlan from the linksys on the floor below us. (1 bar, but she still had a connection)

* Off topic a little *
Which also means you should have password protection on. I know that 90% of the wireless encryptions have been compromised, but Joe Shmoe the "hacker" will get stumped right off the bat...

I *might* have found a fix, or at least for some reason now I can get 400k/sec!!

I used the linksys software on a pc and a usb cable to connect to the wireless hub and set one antenna to send and one antenna to receive. That seems to have done it!

I had exactly the same problem and tried your suggestion, but it didn't seem to work...

What _did_ work however was to set the preamble length to 'long'.... seems as though Airport doesn't support short preambles!

Hope this helps!

James.

Turns out the unit was sleeping after a period of a few hours, and would not wake up - hence the low throughput.

The WAP11 is actually manufactured by SMC .. It's a SMC2655W. You can get the drivers there... In the meantime, Linksys has also updated their drivers .. not sure if it contains the fix .. Here is their page.

Back