Al Gore...Apple's next CEO

moav

Hunter of Muffins
So, after finishing off some sour cream and onion chips and some dip(not the leafy kind) I had this epiphany that Jobs is actually molding Al Gore to take over the reigns of Apple. If Bush wins the election this year Gore will have 4 years at the helm and then back into politics he goes. Winning the election in 08 he bombs Redmond and turns all governmental computer contracts over to Apple.

If Bush wins the election this year Gore will have 4 years at the helm and then back into politics he goes.

But if Bush loses, the Democratic candidate will be in place for the '08 election, and Al will be sidelined again.

Winning the election in 08 he bombs Redmond and turns all governmental computer contracts over to Apple.

If by "bombs" you mean physically bombs Redmond, this would be great. Microsoft would toast, Apple would be in a better position, and Al would have given the democrats such a black eye that they wouldn't be able to win the presidency for at least 3 elections!

It's a win-win strategy, I say!

:D

Al will have to face Hillary in '08 if he wants to be president.

I'm betting on a

Rice vs. Clinton in '08. What do you guys think?

I think that I could care less WHICH candidate replaces Bush, as long as he or she replaces Bush. Plus: I'm not American, so even if Bush isn't replaced, I don't really care. This is Apple General Discussions, not USA.

Originally posted by fryke
I think that I could care less WHICH candidate replaces Bush, as long as he or she replaces Bush. Plus: I'm not American, so even if Bush isn't replaced, I don't really care. This is Apple General Discussions, not USA.

Good point fryke, not the place. But the Bush administration is evil and needs to go asap. Scary stuff.

But does the self proclaimed "inventor" of the internet have what it takes to lead Apple. Taking care of the government is childs play compared to shaping the future of technology.

I agree, moav, with your scepticism. I'd say Al Gore is an important and certainly helpful addition to the board of directors, but I wouldn't see him as the innovative mind that can lead Apple after Steve Jobs. I'd rather see Ive in that position, actually, although I think that wouldn't be the right person, either.

The best thing, probably, if Steve ever has to go, would be to choose a person that isn't known yet, but that has the 'features' that are needed. And I'm pretty sure that Apple's board of directors (who would choose the next CEO, Steve once said the only thing the board has to do is hire and fire the CEO) knows what they want in Apple's CEO.

Originally posted by fryke
I agree, moav, with your scepticism. I'd say Al Gore is an important and certainly helpful addition to the board of directors, but I wouldn't see him as the innovative mind that can lead Apple after Steve Jobs. I'd rather see Ive in that position, actually, although I think that wouldn't be the right person, either.

That's interesting that you suggested Jonathan Ive, he'd certainly have the vision required for the post but I agree that he probably wouldn't be right for CEO. He is a fantastic designer though and Apple is lucky to have him. I also agree that Gore wouldn't be a good CEO for Apple. In fact, even though he does have a healthy interest in technology, and Apple, I'm dubious as to whether appointing a polititian to the board is a good idea, let alone CEO.

I can't think of anyone offhand but I could see Jobs suggesting someone relatively young from an up and coming technology company. Perhaps from a successful dotcom? I'm not to up on this sort of stuff so I could be entirely off the mark! :)

What's the opinion on how long Steve will stay at Apple anyway?

If Steve Jobs left Apple, the best person to replace him would either be Avie Tevanian, Jr., or Phil Schiller.

Avie has the technical expertise and has provided Steve with much of the NeXT/Apple vision (in the software dept).

Phil has been key to the success in the marketing of Apple since the second coming of Jobs, but I'm not sure how he would do at CEO.

As for Gore, he wouldn't make a good CEO. He has zero corporate experience, and while that isn't a liability for a board member, it's not enough experience for a CEO...

Wouldn't it be freaky if Bill Gates left Microsoft and became the CEO of Apple some day? ;-)

Back