Alarm

scope

Registered
Is there any way to set your computer so that it TURNS ON at a certain time and then play an MP3 file. My alarm clock just doesn't work. I need loud, amplified, wall-shaking music.

Heh, that app doesn't seem to turn on the mac automatically, and I'd never let my [bzzzzzzzzz] iMac stay on at night, the noise from the iMac itself is enough to wake me up, or at least make me sleep-less ;)

There's not really anyway to make your mac wake up automaticly. You'll be forced to put it to sleep! I know there's a REALbasic application around my HD somewhere that makes it so your computer comes out of sleep and will play a selected MP3 when it does! If that sounds interesting to you let me know!

It WAS possible in OS 9, has anyone tried to set the prefs for auto-boot in OS 9, and then reboot in OS X again? I'm going to try that! 'ell, anyway, I hope Apple will implement it in OS X soon... :cool:

Well, it starts up into OS X, but I'd have to give up local security and have it login is a restriced user to play the sound.

It DOES start up automatically? Way cool! (f***, and I haven't thought about that earlier... ;))
yaya, yes, you'll have to set it to auto-login, then, if you want a sound to be played, of course, or maybe it's possible to write something that plays a sound on system startup?... At least, if you connect your mac to a 200 W amplifier and set the volume to *full*, I guess you'll wake up of the startup sound! ;)

Here's what I did. First, in 9, go to the Energy Saver Control Panel and set it to wake up at say, 11AM. Then, set the startup disk to Mac OS X. THEN, start into X. If you do have admin access, make a new account (regular user). Set up the Login prefs to automatically log in as that user. THEN, download some alarm program and tell it to set off the alarm for about 5 minutes after you set the computer to turn on. Works like a charm, for me.

Yep, that sounds genius ;)
I think I have to do that, I too, so I actually WAKE UP when I'm supposed to :D

Back