Aliasing apps using terminal?

pfhorseti

Registered
I have an irc app installed in /usr/local/bin/,
and I want to alias the application so everytime I use irc I dont have to type "/usr/local/bin/irc" to use irc.

I want to type "irc" and have it launched!
How can I do this?

Thanks.

I know there's a config that you can change so that it knows to search that directory when trying to execute a command.

I've been wanting to do it myself but I can't remember exactly what it is or where I need to change it.

In a related problem. How do we add the current directory to the path so you don't have to type "./" in front of commands housed within the same directory?

I may be completely wrong here but I think you may have to edit the .profile (or in OS X's case create a .profile) in your home directory

All of your path problems can be solved by editing /etc/csh.login (with root privileges, of course.) Just look for the obvious path setting line near the top, and change it to suit your fancy.

This may sound like a stupid question but is the default shell csh? I was under the impression that it was something else.

also, how do you go about adding the current directory? would I just add ./ separated from the rest with a colon?

Something like this..
setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:./"

The default shell is tcsh. It's basically an evolution of csh, and as such, it will read in csh configuration files.

Back