All Applications Quit & System Freezes

shanezz

Registered
First of all, let me say thank god for your site. I can't find anything with the companies I actually paid for this type of help.

Anyways, thank you

Okay here we go.

Specs:

Processor: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 (single)
Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Operating System: OSX Panther 10.3.9

First problem:

Since I've upgraded from the Jaguar that came with this system when I bought it, I've had problems with the system freezing up on me intermittently (spelling?) It has become more and more frequent with time. This "freezing" appears to be occuring mostly when using the Activity monitor and Safari or IE browsers
By freezing up I mean, that I lose all functionality and response, I cannot cmnd Q on anything.
Furthermore, when this freeze occurs it sounds like the fans in the tower kick into overdrive and they begin to get louder and louder until I manually shut the system down.

Attempted fixes:
Dowloading all patches and updates from apple
Searching all knowledge bases on apple
Removing and/or disabling my printer drivers
Removing and/or disabling any unnecessary items running
Running the verify/repair disk utility multiple times
That's all I can recall for now

Second problem:

All of my applications unexpectedly quit, when one of the following occur.
If a pop up or choice box comes up and I don't respond with a mouse click or hitting enter within about 5 seconds
Example: If I'm saving an item and one already exists and the pop up comes up and asks if I want to overwrite it or not. If I don't click on yes or no within that 5 seconds the application will quit.

With regard to either of my browsers, Safari or IE, when I am moving from one IP to another, the system either locks up or "unexpectedly quits."

I am at a complete loss, and have driven myself crazy with this. I'll be suprised if I can send this ticket to you without it locking up on me, but I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for any assistance you can.

Sincerely, a mac lover

Shane

Back