All apps default to user>home>documents folder

gelfling

Registered
I just upgraded to 10.4. and everything seemed great. Then I had to do some work and discoverd not all is well. I was using InDesign CS and went to export a pdf and noticed that I was always starting from the User>Home>documents folder to save the PDF. I was curious as to why and then did a save as, the same thing, always starting at the User>Home>documents folder. Just to ensure that it wasn't InDesign, I opened Photoshop, same thing. I tried Word, same thing. I tried TextEdit and it works fine.
I also noticed that the recent places function is not working either in InDesign.

To make matters worse, I can do a save as fine in Illustrator, the place where I opened the file is where the save as screen opens to.

Any ideas out there, anything would be appreciated. I also did a re-install of CS suite and still the problem exists.

Try repairing the permissions. Do this through /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Select your main volume, and click "Repair permissions".

Thanks, I have tried that. Nothing changed hawever. I have searched the internet extensively but have found nothing about this issue.

I don't think I understand. Is there such a thing as User>Home>Documents? Do you mean /Users/[yourusername]/Documents?

Yes, that is correct. /Users/[yourusername]/Documents
I am the only user so i have it called home.

If you were to have a file open in InDesign or Photoshop or Word or just about any program, except TextEdit I noticed, and then went to file>open, usually you would still be in the same directory as the origianl you had just opened. But for me, I am defaulting to the /Users/[yourusername]/Documents directory everytime. Also, the drop down menu where you can see your recent places is not being populated.

To make it even weirder, save as and export are defaulting to the same directory, except Illustrator. When I do a save as or export from Illustrator I am starting off in the directory where I opened the file.

I have tried to re-install CS and nothing changed, I have repaired permissions on ever drive I have. I believe the next thing to do is to re-install my OS, which I was hoping not to do.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Just incase anyone has a similar problem, I ran a check with TechTools and it gave me the results as having a problem on my surface scan. It recommended that I reformat my drive and reinstall. So I did, and the problem is fixed.

4 years later...
I am now having this problem in 10.5.8, and it is driving me batty. It is unreasonable to consider a reformat and reinstall, it is my work computer, we're a graphic design company, and there are a gazillion files plus tons of apps. Anyone have other suggestions? This is the only thread I've found at all about this topic.

Did you ever get an answer to your problem? I have the exact same issue and it is also on my work computer so a reformat is not an option. To top it off I can't reinstall InDesign because my computer is not wanting to read the install disc yet it doesn't have issues reading any other disc.

Back