All apps seem to have reset + desktop empty

padster

Registered
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

iMac G3, 600 MHZ. OsX 10.3.9

My prob is that suddenly, the other day, all my applications started to behave (on starting up) as if they were new - that is, they started up with licence agreement dialogs, setup wizards etc etc. Sarari lost all its bookmarks and history. iPhoto started up with a licence agreement, and has lost forgotten where its media is, same with iTunes, even though if I go and look, the mp3s and jpgs are where they always were. The desktop is empty, apart from the harddisk icon and the dock (which was coming up with its default appearance).

Mostly, things still work, however - Internet Connect still connects fine, I can print, etc etc. But it really bothers me that I might have to "set up" all my apps again, I have lost all my Stickies, and I have to remind iTunes and iPhoto where all the media is. And all this might happen again. In the meantime, I'm going to do some serious backing up!

What has happened? Has something been inadvertently moved or deleted? Has to be something fairly fundamental to make all these things change at once?

I never really understood the OsX directory structure. I suspect (even though everything worked fine up till a couple of days ago) that my directory structure has been a bit of a mess since I changed over from 0S 9. Is there something you can diagnose from what I have said above? I do hope so! Any and all advice most welcome...

best wishes

P.

Back